Wednesday 19 October 2016

3 easy, low fat slow cooker dinners

As its getting colder I'm using my slow cooker nearly every day. I first bought mine when I was working full time and commuting to London from Surrey. I would have to leave home very early in the morning to catch 7 am train and I wouldn't get back till same time in the evening so I wanted food to be ready when I got back.
These days as busy mum I love to use it when our schedule is packed and I have to take my older son to after school activities. It is also life saver at the weekends as I like to spend time with my family instead of cooking. There is nothing nicer than going for a long walk knowing you have warm food waiting for you!

Mine is made by Russel Hobbs, its fairly simple device I don't think you need to spend a lot on one.
Today I'll share some of dinners I have cooked last week.

Turkey meatballs with mushroom sauce

You will need:
1 onion 
2 garlic cloves
500-400g low fat turkey mince or ready made turkey meatballs
400 g mushrooms
1/2 can of coconut milk (optional)
In food processor chop onion, garlic and mushrooms. Form meatballs from mince, place in the slow cooker with mushroom mix, Season and cook on slow for 5h. Tip. I often use ready formed turkey meatballs that I keep frozen, If your using frozen meat too just add 1 cup of hot boiling water to the slow cooker to get cooking process going faster. You can use some coconut milk to make sauce extra creamy if you wish.

I have served these with sweet potato mash and beetroot puree.

Barbecue pulled chicken buns


You will need
400g chicken breast (approx 1 per person)
1 cup barbecue marinade
1 cup chicken stock
brioche burger buns
Ok, so this could not be easier: just place chicken breasts, stock and marinade in slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5h. Once cooked shred with forks and place on toasted burger bun. We had it with simple salad.

Hearty cottage pie

I must admit this doesn't look very appetising but trust me this dinner is very delicious
You will need:
350 g low fat premium beef mince 
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
2 cups cooked green lentils
1 cup tomato passata
For topping:
2 large sweet potatoes
1/4 cup milk

Process onion, garlic and mushrooms in food processor, place in slow cooker with browned meat and lentils. Season to taste and cook on low for 5 h. I have used meat we had left over from spaghetti bolognese from previous night and it worked perfectly.
Top with mashed swede-carrot and sweet potato mixture and serve. You may place pot under grill to brown the potato topping but I didn't bother. I have served it with french beans.

Enjoy!

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/18296741/?claim=rszxhxtrx8x">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment